Remove Malware from your computer
Providing protection for your WordPress website is critical to guard against hacker attacks. However as you are logging into the backend of your WordPress installation you must ensure that your PC is free from malware or you are giving the hackers a free entry to your website backend by logging in for them!
So let’s get started.
STEP 1 – Establishing if you have Malware on your PC.
Before going any further you need to find out if you have any malware on your PC.
- Is your computer running slowly?
- Do odd windows keep popping up as you navigate around windows?
- Do you have strange advertising links on your internet browser?
If you have answered yes to any or all of the above the likelyhood is you have malware infecting your PC.
\to be able to check if you have malware and to defend from further attacks you will need to purchase some Internet Security software, if you dont already have it.
The following are some you could choose from
- Bitdefender Total Security 2014
- Qihoo 360 Internet Security 4.3
- Symantec Norton 360 2014
- Kaspersky PURE 3.0 Total Security review
We use Bitdefender but you can choose from any of the above.
TIP: The software above is preventative, if you have already been infected then hackers go to extreme lengths to hide their malware from Internet security software so detection by the above software is not 100% guaranteed.
STEP 2 – Reboot
You dont need to be a techy guru to follow thee guidelines, just follow the instructions one by one and you should be fine.
- Disconnect you computer from the internet (unplg or disconnect WIFI)
- Reboot your computer into ‘Safe Mode’
Windows 7, Vista or XP – Reboot holding key F8 and select ‘Safe Mode with Networking’
Windows 8 and 10 – At the login screen choose restart and hold down the ‘Shift’ key select ‘Boot in Safe Mode’
If you are already having a bad day and you are reading this page from another computer because you have a black or blank screen then hit CTRL, ALT, DEL at the same time and from there you will be able to select ‘Safe Mode’
Getting into your PC in Safe Mode is exactly that, you cannot damage your installation and Windows is running on the bare minimum without ll the bloat of the ful installation.
STEP 3 – Disk Cleanup
Before we start to get into the actually removal process, it is recommended that you clean up your disk and remove any temporary files and unwanted files on your PC.
- Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disc Cleanup
- Choose Delete temporary Files
STEP 4 – Run Malwarebytes
Now we are going to find out if you have any malware on your PC. If your existing antivirus has not found any malware then follow the process below:
- Reconnect to the Internet
- Download Malwarebytes Ant-Malware On Deman Scanner (FREE)
- Once installed DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET AGAIN
- If you get a meassage saying the databse is out of date select Yes to download and update definitions
- Click on the Scan Button and carry out a FULL SCAN
If Malwarebytes finds an infection it will advise you accordingly. Click on ‘Scan Results’ in bottom right. Malwarebytes automatically selects the files that it thinks needs removing.
- Click Remove Selected items
- Restart your PC in normal mode
STEP 5 – Back to being clean
Your PC is now clean, however you may still see some of the effects of your infection such as your internet browser Chrome, Firefox showing some advertising links.
Our next knowledgebase article will cover the removal of these from Internet Browsers.
We hoe you found this article usefull
STAY CLEAN and protect your WordPress Installation.